Ontario Premier Doug Ford says Donald Trump’s threat to make Canada the 51st U.S. state is a “compliment,” but it’ll never happen.
Ford shared his new take when speaking to reporters at Queen’s Park Tuesday, saying after his high-stakes meeting in Washington last week, the Americans aren’t “coming into our country to take over.”
“I kind of flipped this around: what a compliment. We’ll never be a 51st state. Canada is not for sale, but isn’t it nice someone thinks we have the greatest country in the world, and they want access,” Ford said.
“My simple answer to that is if you want access, let’s build an Am-Can Fortress as I’ve been saying. Let’s supply more critical minerals, let’s supply more energy that you need. We are not the enemy, they know that. Their foe is China. That’s their enemy and ours to a certain degree.”
Story continues below advertisement
Ford’s remarks appear to be a change in tone for the premier, …