An Israeli drone strike killed two people in Gaza on Friday, local Palestinian medical authorities said, underscoring the uncertainty surrounding a fragile ceasefire deal that has halted fighting in the enclave for weeks.
The Israeli military said the drone struck a group of suspected militants operating near its troops in northern Gaza and planting an explosive device in the ground, but it gave no details on casualties.
The military, under new army chief Lt.-Gen. Eyal Zamir, has made preparations for a return to war in Gaza if no agreement can be reached with Hamas on extending the 42-day ceasefire agreed to last month.
But with a visit in the coming days from U.S. President Donald Trump’s special Mideast envoy, Steve Witkoff, who has held direct talks with Hamas, there has been no indication that Israel has given up on continuing the ceasefire.
A delegation from Hamas arrived in Cairo for …