Removing the roadblocks: How provinces can lead the charge on boosting internal trade
Removing the roadblocks: How provinces can lead the charge on boosting internal trade
No presence, no power. Why Canada must build ties in Washington: Ian Ching in Canadian Affairs

Ontarios U.S. charm offensive has ended amid new auto tariffs, trade representative says [Video]

Categories
Ontario News

Hours after U.S. President Donald Trump again blindsided Canada with the announcement of tariffs on its growing auto sector, Ontario Premier Doug Ford received a call from the U.S. secretary of commerce.

The call, which Global News can confirm and was first reported by the Globe and Mail, wasn’t a heads up but instead a belated explanation of how Trump’s “permanent” auto tariffs will work when they return on April 2.

During the phone call, Ford and Howard Lutnick discussed the impact of the tariffs on Ontario’s auto manufacturing sector, the integrated pan-North American supply chain and a possible fine-tuning of the 25 per cent tariff.

Before the call, Ford said he was caught off guard by the tariff announcement after Canadian and American officials stressed there would be “no surprises” when the two sides had a face-to-face meeting earlier this month.

Story continues below advertisement

“We thought we’d be informed,” Ford said at Queen’s Park on Wednesday. …

British Columbia
British Columbia's salmon farmers caught in the net: Ken Coates and Brian Kingzett
Goodbye Silver Platter, Election Special: Brian Lee Crowley on Power Struggle