An Ontario superior court has struck down social media giants’ motion to dismiss a lawsuit brought forward by several school boards that alleges their platforms disrupt student learning and the education system.
Schools for Social Media Change said on Tuesday that Ontario Superior Court Justice Janet Leiper released her decision on Friday in the case of School Boards v Meta et al., dismissing the defendants’ motion to toss the case out.
The lawsuit was initially launched in March 2024 by four of Ontario’s largest school boards against social media tech giants Meta, Snapchat and TikTok. Since then, several more schools and boards have joined, bringing the total named in the lawsuit to 14, the group said.
The lawsuit alleges the tech giants disrupt student learning and the education system.
The schools and boards are calling on the social media giants to “redesign their products to keep students safe.” The lawsuit also …