Foreign interference is an existential threat to Canada: Christian Leuprecht / MLI in Parliament
Foreign interference is an existential threat to Canada: Christian Leuprecht / MLI in Parliament
Impact of EU elections on global politics and Japan’s foreign policy: Stephen Nagy in the Japan Times

EU to use windfall profits from Russian assets for Ukraine. Will allies follow? – National [Video]

Categories
First Nations News

European Union countries formally adopted a plan on Tuesday to use windfall profits from Russian central bank assets frozen in the EU for Ukraine’s defense.

It is the first in what could be a series of moves by the G7 group of large Western nations to utilize the near $300 billion worth of Moscow’s assets that have been immobilized, but it remains a highly complex and controversial precedent.

Here is what has been done and some of the other ideas being looked at:

Tuesday’s EU move exploits the fact that the lion’s share of the Russian reserves – essentially bonds and other types of securities in which the Russian central bank had invested – are held in a Brussels-based depository called Euroclear.

Story continues below advertisement

Under the agreement, 90% of the proceeds that the bonds generate will go into an EU-run fund for military aid for Ukraine, with the other 10% going to support Kyiv …

30% of Canadians face difficulties in navigating our healthcare system / MLI in Parliament
30% of Canadians face difficulties in navigating our healthcare system / MLI in Parliament
Who’s bankrolling anti-Israel demonstrations (excerpt): Casey Babb on Sky News Australia